When I first started my fitness journey, my meal prep consisted of plain chicken, tilapia, tuna, lean ground turkey, green beans, spinach and asparagus. I relied on hot sauce and reduced sugar ketchup to get through my meals. The meals were bland and boring. And, that paired with a few other factors, led me to begin binge eating. All the time. I wasn't satisfied with my meals and you can only begin to imagine why.
There is absolutely no reason why you cannot create delicious meals that are also macro/calorie friendly. My goal with providing weekly meal prep recipes is to show you that you can have fun with your meal prep and still reach your goals.
This week's recipe is Chicken Taco Burgers!!!
The Chicken Taco Burgers are quick and easy, you won't add any additional time to your meal prep, just flavor and fun!
What you'll need:
- 3lbs ground chicken (I used 90% lean, 10% fat)
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 packet of low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 cup of fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
OTE: The burgerssurprisingly were not that spicy with the jalapeno, if you like spicy, I suggest adding a little extra chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. You may also be able to buy a spicy taco seasoning mix. However, if you don't like extra spicy, I wouldn't change a thing. Play around with this spices! Have fun!
- Dice the jalapeno and chop the fresh cilantro leaves.
- In a large bowl, using your hands, mix the ground chicken with the taco seasoning, cilantro and jalapeno. YI: I found the ground chicken is a bit stickier than ground beef or turkey.
- In an effort to create burgers that are exact in size, place an empty bowl on a food scale. Zero it out. Then transfer the meat into that bowl. Divide the grams/oz by how many servings you would like to make. For 3lbs, I recommend 9-12 patties. This may vary from person to person based on their macros or meal sizes.
- Once you have the size of your burgers determined, zero the scale out and remove the amount of meat necessary to create the first patty. Zero out each time and continue to form the patties.
- Heat a large skillet to medium and add the olive oil to allow it to heat up as well.
- Place burgers on skillet and cover with lid. Flip after a few minutes.
- Because chicken must be cooked fully, I used a meat thermometer to check they had reached 165 degrees before removing them from the skillet.
I paired some of my Chicken Taco Burgers with my Chipotle Inspired Rice (Recipe here) and a guacamole mini. Others I made more into a chicken taco salad with lettuce, cheese, guacamole, and corn; a bit higher in calories but some days I have less time to eat at the office due to meetings and choose to make meals with more substance! The Chicken Taco Burgers can literally be paired with whatever you choose and you can make them work for whatever your macros/calories may be.
Let me know if you give the Chicken Taco Burgers a try!
Be on the lookout for new #MealPrep recipes every Monday!